One of the first giveaways of age is a woman’s hands. The skin on our hands is thinner than on our face and it is subject to more exposures like hard work, chemicals, sun, cold weather, hard water, etc. In order to protect them, we have found this home remedies that can be useful for you:
• Hand Cream Recipe:
Melt the shea butter, beeswax, and sweet almond oil together in a double boiler. Stir the mixture as it melts. Once everything is melted, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Stir in the essential oils, and pour the liquid hand cream into a small glass container. Allow it to harden completely (this usually takes several hours).
• Weekly Dry Skin Hand Mask:
Mix 1 tbsp Glycerin with 1 egg yolk, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1tbsp almond oil, lemon juice of 1 lemon, 100 ml herbal infusion, 20 ml rose water. Apply on clean freshly exfoliated hands. Rinse after 25 minutes. Follow with moisturizer.
• Herbal Hand Bath Recipe:
Bring half a pan of water to boil and add 1 tbsp each of chamomile, nettle, sage, coltsfoot, calendula. You can buy these in dried form from an herbal or beauty store. Cool the infusion a little. When it is still warm, soak your hands in it for about 20 min. Dry your hands with a soft towel and apply a rich moisturizer.
• Half cup mashed potatoes with half cup milk is an excellent hand mask.
• When cooking eggs for breakfast, don’t throw away the eggshells. Scrape out the remaining egg white and spread over your hands. Wash off after 10 minutes.
• Rub your hands with a cotton ball dipped in 1 tsp tomato juice+1tsp cucumber juice to give the skin a more even tone.
• Paraffin wax treatment kits are available in the market for an at-home hand spa. You can also give your hands a hot treatment by soaking them in a shallow basin of warm water and 2-3 bath oils.
• After washing dishes or clothes with harsh chemical detergents, rinse with sour milk or vinegar solution (1 tbsp. vinegar per 3 cups of water). This will help to restore the skin’s pH balance.
Treat your hands with monthly manicures to get your cuticles pushed back and nails shaped. Choose acetone and toluene free nail paints to prevent yellowing and brittleness of nails. Remember that moisturizing and protection is the key to maintaining youthful happy hands.